Dear readers: We were asked by a requestor to provide reliable sources of information regarding fraud, computer crimes and privacy theft. This is the list we came up with. Please feel free to add additional sources. Please see http://crimeinamerica.net/category/cybercrime/ for the latest data on these crimes.
Crime in America.Net staff
- Great and short overview of privacy and theft issues
- Get your free annual credit report from Equifax, TransUnion and Experian
- Spread them out over the year so you receive one every 4 months
- Opt Out of Credit Card Offers under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- The Do Not Call Registry
- Direct Marketing Mail Preference Service; Have your name and address removed from the phone book and reverse directories. Opt-out of the sale or sharing of your financial information when given the opportunity by your bank, credit card companies, insurance companies, and investment firms.
Good sources for checking out e-mail Hoaxes